Re: Film Vs. Digital

From: "Bob Maxey"
Me:
: >>>..just to once again put things in perspective - the Gigapixel project
is
: as digital as any 'digital' camera on the market in that the scanner
: converts an analogue image grabbed by analogue sensors and digitises the
: result - just as a 'digital' camera is a monochrome analogue device that
: digitises the image grab and through software converts the results.>>>

: I disagree. Film is used to capture the image. So what if a scanner
ultimately plays a part? By your definition, all film cameras are digital
cameras.

no, those are your words.  my words are effictively that digital cameras
are analogue, electronic I'll grant you that, but as analogue as film up to
the point the analogue information is digitised.

:I still find the project name misleading. The search is on for a true
gigapixel camera and in my view, some folks might think the GP project is
pure digital.

they do exists, but they are interesting animals with a multifaceted lens
and multiple sensors - the images are 'stitched' together by the software
(always the software) to make a composite.  they are Aerial cameras.

>how can they - there is no such thing as a digital camera, 'digital'
cameras are analogue up to the point that the image is digitised..

: If I borrow my friends 10 inch Cirkit camera, take a picture and scan it,
how is my effort likely to be considered? Did I use a gigapixel camera? Or
perhaps I locate a 16 inch Cirkit camera and do the same thing? No, sorry,
I think the gigapixel project is misnamed because it is pure film that is
later scanned.

: >>>both a digital camera and a film camera are *analogue* cameras, the
: 'digital' camera just has a AD converter onboard to save the images in a
: digital format.>>>

: Technical semantics.
If that's the case then film is just as digital.  Silver blocks light,
silver does not block light.  0, 1.

:There is a very clear and accepted distinction between film and digital
cameras.

True, there is a very real *acceptance* that 'digital' cameras are digital,
that still doesn't make them so.

the world is flat, man can never travel to the moon etc etc.

yes, I'm being argumentative, but it's interesting how few non-tech types
actually *know* that digital cameras are monochrome analogue devices.