Re: Film Vs. Digital

>>>..just to once again put things in perspective - the Gigapixel project is
as digital as any 'digital' camera on the market in that the scanner
converts an analogue image grabbed by analogue sensors and digitises the
result - just as a 'digital' camera is a monochrome analogue device that
digitises the image grab and through software converts the results>>>

I disagree. Film is used to capture the image. So what if a scanner ultimately plays a part? By your definition, all film cameras are digital cameras. I still find the project name misleading. The search is on for a true gigapixel camera and in my view, some folks might think the GP project is pure digital.

If I borrow my friends 10 inch Cirkit camera, take a picture and scan it, how is my effort likely to be considered? Did I use a gigapixel camera? Or perhaps I locate a 16 inch Cirkit camera and do the same thing? No, sorry, I think the gigapixel project is misnamed because it is pure film that is later scanned.

>>>both a digital camera and a film camera are *analogue* cameras, the
'digital' camera just has a AD converter onboard to save the images in a
digital format.>>>

Technical semantics. There is a very clear and accepted distinction between film and digital cameras.

(Snip)

Bob