Digital Hype and blended images

One interesting thing I have noticed is the creation of blended digital images to solve certain problems. I promise, this is not a digital Vs. Film rant.

The idea is to take several images and overlap them to produce one image, hopefully a better tone range and better balance. Supposedly, "all black and white film is incapable of handling bright areas and distant shadows." Some writers go on and on, claiming that it is impossible to have balance in a scene with harsh contrast.

Apparently, these writers skipped the lecture on water-bath development and compensating developers.

So, to all you educators (and you victims of some of this rather dismal degree of photographic lab instruction and education) let me ask a question: what is not being taught these days you feel should be taught?

Bob

..