Re: DVD's

At 15:04 19 03 2005, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
Russell Baker <rebphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
I understand the difference between a one time write disc and one that can be re written, but I am at a loss between when the discs are given a plus or a minus sign.

Going by the book that came with dvd burner it seems that the discs do the same thing regardless of weather its a plus or minus.

The + and - are two different standards. You have to buy media that matches your unit. These days a lot of the units are multi-standard though, so then it doesn't matter much.

I think it makes a bigger difference if you want to burn actual video DVDs to play in ordinary consumer DVD players. But I've never tried to do that, so I'm not sure.

My understanding is the DVD-R are meant to be readable in a wider variety of players, than the DVD+R. The DVD+R is a more recently developed format than DVD-R. However it seems the differences are not significant when just writing a DVD, and finalising it. I read somewhere (sorry, but I don't recall where) that when doing multi-session (a bit now, then some more later), then DVD+R has significant benefits over DVD-R. These comments apply similarly with the rewriteable DVD-RW and DVD+RW media.

Here in Oz, the DVD-R are a bit less expensive than DVD+R media, but the difference is not much. It appears most people when asking for "DVDs" get DVD-R.

For data backup, the DVD-ROM format has the best error detection, and is also the most expensive media. The LG drives seem to be about the only ones capable of writing this format.

(I tend to use DVD+RW for my data backup cycle, and DVD-R when I want to "make a DVD".)

&i (: