Gallery Review

Back from holidays in the Swedish Mountains. Let´s try a review to get back into normal....

David Dyer-Bennet, Tony: A nice, well executed portrait of what seems to be a rather special person (If anyone still reads the crime novels by John Dickson Carr, there is a master sleuth named Dr. Gideon Fell. This IS him...). Only thing is, that big "action-man" wrist-watch seems a bit out of character somehow.

Qkano, Promenade: Top one this week, without doubt. Impeccable composition. Flavour of German 50´es photography (Otto Steinert and that bunch), but in colour, and without the reflections in wet pavement that was de rigeur then...

Jeff Spirer, Hands, dress: At first, I found this a rather weak Spirer, but it grows on me. Would be even better in a show or on a web page with others in a similar mood; here, it sort of sticks out.

Srinivasa R Regeti, Kid Playing: Nice, very well done. The shirt is on the verge of being washed-out.

Marilyn Dalrymple, Wall, Leaves and Shadows: Well seen, lovely light. Like the softness despite the hard light, and the sepia tone.

Emily Ferguson, Depth Marks: Beautiful textures, somehow I miss some patch or strip of contrasting colour. This subject appeals to me; I can walk for hours in Stockholm Harbour looking for this kind of details.

David Small, Meditators, Christos Gates: Honestly, I actually prefer last weeks version (if I remember it correctly; I didn´t save it), which was less meditators and more Gates. But that´s me...

Pini Vollach, Woman at work: Intriguing, only I´d burn down the lower, overexposed part considerably; it draws the eyes away from the main subject. Also, some cropping off the left side would leave the woman less centered and enforce the direction of her gaze.

WR Gill, Oak, Carmel: In the footsteps of St. Ansel and St. Brett... Beautiful, but should be seen BIG (if there´s detail enough in the tree). Also, I´d lower the tone of the grass slope in the foreground just a little.

Laurenz Bobke, Whirling dervish: Intriguing. This one should have been shot vertical, but of course this is wisdom after the fact. Hot colours that balance well with the blue at top.

Per Öfverbeck
http://foto.ofverbeck.se