Gallery review

Since I managed to submit something, and hence will have everybody
taking their shots at me :-), I might as well get in my own shots at
the other submitters!

Comments on the Photoforum Gallery
<http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html> this week:

David Dyer-Bennet -- Tony -- A portrait of a friend of mine.  I hauled
the studio lighting out to a party and shot portraits of a number of
people there, and got a number of interesting results I thought,
including this one.

Qkano -- Promenade -- The color treatment startles me, since I expect
bricks to be in the red/yellow spectrum somewhere.  This *could*
easily be a blue-toned monochrome shot, but the same thing still
happens in my head.  I like the hard sharp-edged manmade objects,
pointing all sorts of directions, contrasting with the very blurred
moving figure.  And you *really* needed the little post at the left; I
wonder if I would have figured out that I needed it if I'd been trying
to shoot something like this?  Good call, anyway.

Jeff Spirer -- Hands, Dress -- This particular blurred shot just
doesn't do anything for me that I can find.  I don't think I'm deeply
and hopelessly opposed to all blurred shots, but they're not my native
territory anyway.

Srinivasa Rao Regeti -- Kid Playing with his Truck -- Rather nice.  I
like the way his hand grasps the truck, it's very much a child's way
of doing it.  The line of posts makes a nice counterbalance to fill
the other half of the picture, too.

Marilyn Dalrymple -- Wall, Leaves and Shadows -- The mixture of
shadows and silhouettes is interesting, and I like the light color
brushing the wall, too.  It looks a little flat to me, but in web
presentation that's always kind of a guess (though I am viewing the
pictures on a calibrated monitor).

Emily L. Ferguson -- Depth Marks -- I keep thinking it *ought* to be
more interesting than I'm actually finding it.  More angled lighting
would have brought out the marks, and the other textures, more, and
maybe that would catch my attention more solidly.

David Small -- Meditators Christos gates -- From what I remember, I
agree with you about which version is better.  I'm feeling the
sharpness is uncertain on some of the figures -- motion blur?  Or
inadequate depth of field?  And the two with their backs to us and the
two on the right somehow don't look very meditative.  The guy on the
far side facing straight towards us, on the other hand, is perfect.

Pini Vollach -- Woman at work -- Her eyes and face aren't sharp, which
seems like a fatal flaw in this sort of photo to me.  The machinery is
interesting -- NOT high-tech at all.  Her attention is clearly engaged
in her work, and I like the lighting on her face and I like the
bunches of threads (?) crossing between her and the camera.

WRGill -- Robinson Canyon Oak, Carmel Valley CA -- This seems
interesting largely for the unusual tonal renderings, particularly the
tree showing up light against the very dark sky (without being
infrared).  Looks like a lot of strong highlights in the tree
branches, and probably a red filter?

Laurenz Bobke -- Whirling dervish -- This gives a strong impression of
motion, which is good.  The face is the wrong kind of unsharp, though,
IMHO.  I wish the hand didn't go out of frame to the top; I want to
know what it's controlling, and as it is I can't tell.

Thanks to all who participated in the gallery this week!