Re: weddings (might be a bit long-sorry)

At 2005-02-24, 03:18:08 lea (lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

>Good Lord.
>
>Shyrell, I'm sure I speak for everyone on this list when I tell you we
>feel your pain. I can only speak for myself when I tell you (and you
>know this, I realize) that 20/20 hindsight is a beautiful thing.
>
>In this situation you are the paid professional. You are in the driver's
>seat. If I may be so bold, may I suggest you assume the responsibility
>and drive this situation the way you want it to go. Your job as a
>professional photographer is not to bend every direction to make your
>client happy at the expense of making yourself look like a dishrag. You
>need to step back, think this thing over and assess what you want.
>
>You have some choices, as I see it:
>
>Give in and give your client everything they ask for, including
>copyrights, negatives and money back so they go away and leave you
>alone.
>(Not an option for a second, in my book..you are definitely a passenger
>in this situation)
>
>OR
>
>Let your client know that you did do what they asked and paid for. You
>photographed their wedding. You supplied proofs. Hopefully you have a
>contract outlining your responsibilities and theirs...if not, this is
>the wake-up call to get one drawn up before your next event. Do you have
>any other obligations to them...enlargements, book, etc? If so, let them
>know you will meet those obligations in a timely, professional manner,
>with professional products and prints. Then do it.
>
>Inform them that they may NOT, under any circumstance without written
>permission from you, reprint your images or scan them for distribution
>in any way. AND don't offer to do this for them.
>
>I am certain that they are disappointed and I'm also confident that you
>will have to do some fancy footwork to undo some of the promises you've
>already made to them (correct the images and burn them to cd so they can
>go to Walmart for reprints, for example. You're killing me with that
>one.). Your job was not to supply them with proofs so they could have
>them copied at sub-par quality. Your job was to supply them proofs so
>they could make choices as to what images they wanted reprinted and
>enlarged. And then you do that for them. Like all professional
>photographers, some of your images will have problems that need some
>correcting...dust, scratches, dodging, burning and the like. Correcting
>these problems should be a matter of course for you...not an
>afterthought once they are discovered by the client.
>
>Going back to the idea of being in the driver's seat. As a professional
>you should CARE what your images look like when they leave your studio.
>One way to ensure they look the way you want them to look is to control
>the process. Find a professional lab, let the lab know you expect
>quality and will stand for nothing less...your goal is to make the lab a
>partner with you in your work. Let them know when a client is thrilled
> [...]
	Thanks Lea, for some excellent advice and sharing your experience and expertise with us. From time to time, when digital/film.. real/computergenerated.. signmeoff threads fade away... we get issues and posts like yours that make it worthwhile to stay on.

	Rich, your sand/beach pix are superb. I especially like the last one (the stones), for the colours and the way they are set into the sand.

Best regards,
Deen
2005-02-24 11:31:17