Re: weddings (might be a bit long-sorry)

From: "Shyrell Melara"

: That's when she says (about the enlargements), "I have a scanner at home
so I can do my own." (What?) I thought, she has a scanner, she's cheating
me out of my potential income, she can fix the pictures herself. So what
does she do? She goes to Wal-Mart and has the enlargements done there,
discovers the lines, call me up and screams about getting all her money
back or she's going to take me to court.

sounds like she breached your copyright (ownership) of the images and
confessed this to you, you may like to point out that she has technically
broken the law and left herself open to a law suite (more to follow..)

:So I tell him I will fix the pictures myself, put them on a cd and they
can take that to Wal-Mart for their enlargements.

err, tell me you did the following instead:

you explained to her that you actually do digital image restoration work
for a moderate fee and since she is an existing customer you'd be more than
happy to touch up those small scratches and any others that may have
occured at the non professional lab that handled the film and you will have
the images printed properly this time at (again) a reduced rate since
(again) she's an existing customer <smile>

:Again cutting me out of any potential income,
:but I'm just trying to defuse the situation.

no, you're a pro, she's being beligerant - you know you had a live one and
yet you took the job.  Now you have to re-instate yourself as the pro and
do the work she wants for MONEY.

: Hubby & I go out. We get back home to find a message. They want the
pictures for the enlargements fixed, <clip> they still want 'some' money
returned.

uh huh..

:And that's where we are for now. Personally, now I'd rather fix all the
pictures and bite the dust on the reprints as opposed to any refunds. My
position being, I did not scratch the pictures and neither did my camera. I
showed the lab's letter to the husband, so he knows it wasn't me that
messed up.

it's hard when things go wrong and fault or not, they want their pics and
you want your money.  solution: find a way to move on.  they paid for a
service from you - you kept up your end of the bargain.  They try to cheat
you and breach your copyright, you overlook this indescretion
magnanamously.  they try to cheat you again and you flip the situation
around and sympathetically offer to do the prints PROPERLY this time,
explaining that is why you charge the fees you do!  of course you'll get
crap if you go to a crap lab.. why on earth does she think you charge the
prices you do - it's to do the job WELL

:
: Any ideas as to where to go from here?

call her back and find a way to explain something along the lines of the
above to her.  keep it non threatening and sympathetic and offer to 'help'
her by finishing off the job you started when you did the wedding.

good luck!