Re: A question about ownership of an image

In a message dated 2/17/05 2:33:18 P.M. Eastern  Standard Time, dd-b@xxxxxxxx
writes:
Read up on "derivative works" in  copyright law; it's not as simple as
you're claiming.

****************
David,
Yes this is true. The more I read the copyright law in regards to copying
other peoples works the more conflicting it gets in my mind. I used to believe
like Emily that it was a derivative work but a work to be copyrighted has to
be  sufficiently changed to be considered a new work and thus a derivative
copyrightable work. But what a good photographer is actually doing is to use
his/her skill to make the photo of the work as close as possible to  original
work. The resultant photography is more like a reproduction than a new work
and thus not copyrightable by the photographer.
Roy