Re: New topic - question...

Shyrell Melara <shyrellmelara@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I have a new question, and it is valid. How cold is too cold for a
> computer's hard drive?

There are usually *two* specifications for temperature tolerance --
storage, and use.  Since when you first turn it on, the drive starts
spinning and the system tries to boot from it, you have to make sure
the temperatures at which you find it when you go in to start a
computer session are within the "use" temperature range.

(Yes, the drive will warm itself up, but using it for a while below
the use range, before it warms itself up, could be a problem.)

I don't find this information marked on the first couple of actual
drives I checked.  However, on the Western Digital web site, I found
some specs.  For their WD2500BB (Caviar 7200 RPM 250GB) drive, the
operating temperature range is 41F to 131F, and the non-operating
range is -40F to 141F.  So it looks like the drive will be fine in
your room while it's *off*, at least!