Re: My Computer Graphic

> More frequently I see traditional
> photographers labeling their  work "unmanipulated photograph" or
> something similar.  Why should they need to "opt-out" as it were, of
> the mixed media genre?  It is the deviant pictures that should be
> labeled as such.

And worse than this Alan, why should you need to brace yourself the
onslaught that the use of  the terms "unmanipulated" or "straight
photo" sometimes brings.  It's as if some take it as a slur on the
validity of thier work if you dare express any preference for
straight.

Going back to my earliest texts (very early 1900s) it's clear that
even then hand tinted photographs, double exposures etc were always
treated as different from simple/straight/unmanipulated photographs.
Sure, PhotoShop is great, but I would never try to pass off a
composite image as a straight one.  There's no need: it is what it is.
Hehehe ... I did upset some at a camera club once when I entered a
straight photo into a "digital battle".  When it won and I was asked
how I made it I told them: I scanned the slide with my LS30 :o)

I suspect that pre 1990 worldwide the fraction of photos worldwide
given any sort of post capture "intervention" approached 0.0000001% of
all pictures taken.  Certainly nothing to give widespread
applicability to the claims that "photographers have always
manipulated ..."

Bob