RE: My Computer Graphic

Chris,

Certainly most early photographs did not require several studio or
darkroom sessions. The majority of photographs were simple, and
inexpensive portraits.

I agree that composite and collaged images were used from the beginning
and  the aim was definitely to imitate the conventions of Victorian
painting.  Landscape photography involved double printing of the sky
because the plates were not panchromatic.  Nevertheless photos were
still very much photos.  Anything beyond that is, strictly speaking,
"mixed media."

I think we have an intellectual responsibility to maintain clear usage
of the language of our art.  More frequently I see traditional
photographers labeling their  work "unmanipulated photograph" or
something similar.  Why should they need to "opt-out" as it were, of
the mixed media genre?  It is the deviant pictures that should be
labeled as such.

AZ

Build a Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book, 2nd ed.