Re: Chris's computer graphic

James B. Davis wrote:

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:45:06 -0600, Don Roberts <droberts@xxxxxxxx>
wrote/replied to:

It seems to be largely ignored that Chris said only the figure is generated by a human using a computer. The background image is a photo created in a camera. Now I don't really like the Bryce figures; I find them to be wooden and sort of creepy. But, in this case, they exist in a photographic world. Now if Chris also generated the scenery in Bryce, which is easily doable, I could understand all of the criticism. Thus far that has not been the case. Personally, I don't appreciate the results but it seems that it belongs in this forum as much as any Photoshop doctored image.

But where do you draw the line.

Well, just for argument, if you can't find the place to draw a line then maybe a line doesn't even need to be drawn. We might be falling into the how many angels on the head of a pin or if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around logic trap. I tend to agree with whomever said that the bulk of expressed opinion in the reviews will tend to make our own line evident and discourage too much fakery or manipulation. I really don't know if that is good or bad. It's just the ideological makeup of this group. You can go back to Dada and decide if they really had a valid point or were just shaking cages to make themselves more visible. If we want to call it non photographic does that make it non photographic? All of this just for argument, of course. One of the professors in the Creative Photography program in the Art Department at the university where I was employed does so much manipulation of images that one can seriously question their origin. No one in the Art Department questions whether or not this is valid; it's art. I know this is a photo forum not an art forum but trying to get too obsessive about these distinctions may be a waste of time.

I know lots about rendering programs
so I can tell you that these programs can take a photo background and
do amazing things with it, while adding 3D figures etc. Just because a
small image started out from a camera and was manipulated and churned
out as a part of a rendered image does not make it suitable. But of
course this is my opinion.

The point is, there's plenty of 3d rendering image galleries around
where the image would be suitable, dare I say, right at home.

-- Jim Davis, Nature Photography, http://easternbeaver.com/ Motorcycle Relay Kits

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Vernon Wormer