RE: My thoughts about art&craft (RE: PF Galleries on 05 FEB 05)

Veli,

I disagree that art schools teach craft not Art. Not in the U.S. anyway.
 Going from a design school to a university art department I was as
first appalled that technique and crafting skills were ignored almost
completely. I quickly realized my error. There is little time to teach
crafting - it is just understood that one must gain a degree of
competence.  It is the same as universities expecting students to have
extensive practical computer skills.  There is no room in the academic
curriculum for them.

I also disagree that artists need a philosophy or need to have something
to say. Too much art has half-baked polemics. Art isn't blogging :-)  If
you mean artist can offer unique insights I do agree.

Lastly, I think really good artists and crafters make up their own
rules.

AZ

Build a Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book, 2nd ed.