RE: Art vs craft was PF Galleries

Build a Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book, 2nd ed.
NOW SHIPPING
http://www.panoramacamera.us

Walter,

I don't think there is much gain in making a distinction between art and
craft.  Some people get upset with the distinction between, so called,
commercial art and fine art too.  What counts are results -  as you
said.  We may not find an essential definition of art because it is
bound to culture which is never static.  Never mind aesthetics  -
beauty and mastery of craft are not required for all art.

My outcome-based measure of artlyness is that art is a result of the
unique wit and insight of the maker. However it was made or toward what
end is unimportant in most instances. I agree that failures of execution
may interfere with our appreciation of essential qualities of the work.
I think it takes a much more discerning eye to see past these, so
called,  failures than to appreciate virtuosity which is often times
empty.

I went to Art Center in the early 60's - majored in industrial design. I
remember that there was a huge chasm between the design majors and the
"fine art" majors.  A distinction made then as it is today was  "too
artsy fartsy"  or the obverse, "too designy"

AZ

Build a Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book, 2nd ed.
NOW SHIPPING