My take: A Review of PF Exhibits 2005 Jan 29

Hello, everyone.

Let me cut to the chase.

Rich Mason
I REALLY love this image. Faces, newspapers, boredom everywhere! The men
read, the women sit patiently. If I didn't know you, I would have suggested
liberal use of copy and paste with PS. The woman in the middle ground is an
uncanny match with the image in the near man's paper. Wonderful tight
composition: Left edge meets paper edge; foreground woman is slumped in the
lower corner of the image; lonely space fills the adjacent lower corner.
Subjects are tightly stacked Tetris-style throughout the central horizontal
band of the image; angular lines and sweeping curves cooperate to form a
delicate web for my eyes to trace back and forth. The only part of the photo
that bothers me is its "grayness"; perhaps a slight brightness/contrast
shift could make the difference. Great job.

Veli Cigirgan
Fish. Quite different from the Old Masters' picture-perfect flowers or
fruit. Looking at the messiness, if not carnage, laid out on the table, the
first instinct is to back away. My second response, however, was to note the
red-line curve flowing through the center, the warm-toned meat and its
contrast with the cool-colored heads and scales, and to salivate at the
thought of a juicy fish sandwich. The scattered debris in the foreground and
background, though minimized through shallow depth of field, is a bit
distracting. The lighting and limited color is reminiscent of 1960s-era
magazine photographs and adds to the image's clinical/scientific feel.

Qkano: Viewmaster Cat
OK, so Rosie's on the prowl, and so are you. After rummaging through old gel
swatch books for a red and cyan filter, and then letting my eyes
individually adjust their color shifts back to something resembling normal,
I am somehow taken aback at the ridiculous claim "Just for the record: not a
piece of artwork." In many cases, the creator of a piece is the only one who
believes it to be art, not the only one who insists that it isn't. And now
you've got me off on a tangent. Rrrr. Once again, I am pleased with your
composition. The grass (blades, leaves, whatever they are) explodes out of
the lower left corner (even more pronounced with the gel filters over my
eyes) and frames the kitty. A minor detail, the shade in the upper right,
makes an enormous difference in the image, as it corrals light into the
center, spotlighting the cat. And did I mention the 3-D effect? Nicely done.
A magnificent extra touch.

Polly: Young Robin
I love the depth of field in this one. The background foliage is blurred
just enough so that it is visible but largely unnoticeable. The bird is
sharply focused; I feel as though I could reach into my PC's monitor and
touch it. The catchlight in the bird's eye lends some life to it, and the
small patch of light on its body give the feeling of open space between
leaves, a sense of being sheltered in the open. The branch's definition is
largely heightened by the blurred green along its edge; without it, the wood
would have merged with the background. However, I would have liked to see
some empty space just below the branch (where it touches the bottom of the
frame); otherwise a top-notch image.

Leslie Spurlock: UN Doctor
I'm interested in knowing the back story of this image. There are so many
visual clues suggestive of social conflict (camouflage, rough-block wall,
apparently unsanitary floor). Even the doctor's red cross appears to be
hastily stitched together. I like the way you isolated the doctor from the
background with the patch of light on the wall directly behind his head. A
bit of fill flash on the patient may have worked wonders for this image, as
his face is largely obscured by shadow. The top and back of his head is
missing too, but this is one of those rare occasions where I am not
disturbed by that.

Pablo Coronel: Ballet Night
It is heartening to see an image processed with Rodinal. As for the creative
aspect, I have to say that the soft light and focus create a feeling of
dreaminess. The light's intensity has caused some overexposure on the girl's
face which reminds me of early morning sunlight which I freely associate
with hope, promise, and anticipation, which I'm sure she's feeling as the
shutter trips. The jury's still out on whether the minimal depth of field
works for or against the photograph in this case. Overall a successful
image.

Chris Strevens: Bus Station
(Trying to put fond memories of CityLink-ing around Great Britain aside) At
first glance, I am seeing four primary fields: Ground, Station, Buildings,
Sky. I am impressed with the repetitive angularity of the first three of
these elements. The street curves visually upward at an angle which roughly
matches the right side of the bus station's architecture, which is balanced
by the roof to the left; together the two angles form a gull-wing shape
echoed in the awnings on the buildings in the background, which,
incidentally, seem to be taking flight into a patchy sky. Flight ->
Freedom -> Travel -> Transit -> Bus station. OK, maybe a long shot, but
that's how my mind works. Wonderful selection of vantage point. Well done.

Terry L. Mair: Johnson Mill
First off, congratulations for not including footprints in the snow here.
The looming building is set behind a cluster of trees, and balanced by the
tree leaning through the right edge of the frame. The lack of color
saturation almost suggests that it is a hand- (or digitally-) toned black
and white image. The bleak lighting and starkly naked trees make me feel the
cold; the blue tinge to the sky removes the miserable feeling a
fully-overcast day would provide. My only complaint is in the amount of
visual real estate taken up by the copyright notice. Perhaps if it were
smaller and of the "watermark" variety it wouldn't be so distracting.

Trevor Cunningham: Face in a Window
Well, THAT'S bizarre. Admittedly, I have a hard time rating "grab shots" so
I'll operate under the presumption that this was a planned composition that
yielded an added bonus of a gigantic face looming in a window reflection.
Specifically, I'm looking at the granularity of the gray areas in adjacent
features (the column, distant window, reflection of sky) which lend a
feeling of antiquity to the image. In this instance, the establishment's age
is apparent and quite possibly exaggerated by the lack of overall contrast.
It looks like a nice place to sip coffee on a Saturday morning, if it
weren't for Saddam Hussein's 1-meter-diameter-head twin brother blocking the
view.

Jim Davis: No Rules
I think what I noticed first was the way the wavy reflections of reeds in
the water's surface are broken by the birds' bodies. To me, composition
looks like the camera needed to be tilted up a bit; there's a lot of
emptyish space in the lower third and I am more interested in what is going
on above the top of the frame, even if it's just a jumbled mass of weeds;
that would certainly create a balanced dichotomy of solid vs. liquid. Of
course, I prefaced the composition comments with "To me" so feel free to
kick my shins. As for the title, I'm finding its meaning elusive; of course
it could be from writing about this at midnight. Perhaps "No Rules"
referring to who must yield right-of-way? ...in which case it depends upon
the fowls' nationalities.

Thank you everyone for your submissions this week. It was a pleasure
reviewing them. I look forward to your continued discussions.

Yours very truly,
Darin Heinz