Gallery Review for 20050129

OK, a couple of days late after a long weekend in Brighton.

Stuff and nonsence at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
includes:

Rich Mason -
Probably my favorite of the week.
One of those images I wished I could take.No doubt it will soon be
illegal to take photos (or even possess photographic appareil) within
an airport terminal.

I love the repetition of faces moving back through the picture.
Everything is exactly as you would want it to be for the picture as
shown to work.  Did you know all these people and get them to pose
"masters of the decisive moment" style or was it truly a found image?
Please tell me it was a set up - then I won't feel quite so inferior
in failing to notice and capture such scenes myself :o)

Veli Cigirgan -
Mmmm ... I almost said a "dog's breakfast" then remembered you should
not feed them fish bones.

I'm at a loss to understand what I am supposed to make of this,
certainly what I am supposed to like about it.

I have seen still lives of fish-bits before but this lacks for me that
quality.  A scan of a print?  Maybe it has lost something during the
scan.

Sorry, just can't get into the picture.

Bob Talbot - Viewmaster Cat
For once I can be totally honest: this picture is cat whichever way
you look at it.

Polly - Young Robin
Probably my second favourite this week.

Classic bird portrait, almost 3 dimensional.  Love the selective focus
separating the bird from the background.
Was the highlight in the eye  natural or from a flash?

Laying down the guantlet to Jim perhaps to show some more of his
better bird images?

Leslie Spurlock - UN Doctor
Powerful image.

All the real interest is in the triangle - doctor's face, hands and
red cross.
It works as a picture yet I know that the backround knowlege
(location, UN and all that) is influencing how I respond to it.

Perhaps they need advice on building though: the block wall is laid in
stack-bond - about the weakest pattern known.  Stretcher bons is so
much more secure.

Pablo Coronel - Ballet night
Nice shot: one I'm sure her family will treasure.

Lacks any distractions in the background.  Good amount of soft focus.
Cute little expression on the girl's face.

Not sure it's a seller outside the immediate family, but who cares?

Christopher Strevens - Bus Station
Interesting shot, almost devoid of people.
Almost wonder if it would be better with no people.
The levels seem dominated by a couple of highlights which have made it
look a bit too gloomy - for no good effect.
Messing about with levels (esp allowing a small amount of top-end
clipping) improved it for me.

Photoshoppery?  Well, it looks too cyan in places but it does not look
overt.

Terry L. Mair - Johnson Mill
A good stock shot. Does not hold the same emotion for me as your last
submission but it hold no overt flaws either. I'm happy with the
composition and presentation but there is something that's not
grabbing me beyond saying it's well seen and taken.  Without knowing
the history of the mill it's just a picture of a house ?

Trevor Cunningham - face in window
The first face I saw was slightly lower down and to the left on the
pillar.

A moody shot.I would show this without the title (at least without the
word face in the title) and let the viewer discover it.  For me its
not so obvious.  It's almost like a ghostly Saddam lurks inside.

Jim Davis - No Rules
The trouble is with not having rules is that standards drop. Sure,
call it art, but careful not to start to hide mistakes behind that
umbrella.

No rules?  Well, the coot is on the top third ;o)

All the stuff in front, the blurred water and blurred duck can be just
wasted space, visual clutter of an essential part of the atrist's
style: a statement against the established norms of photographic
perfection: a challenge to late 20th century pictorialst dogma.  Well,
it could be.  But for me it fails.  Either I can't see past the rules
or I just prefer more self-contained images.  Even the totally blown o
ut - but shamelessly un-disguised - white highlight on the ducks wing.
It is 21st century photography indeed.

I won't bother mentioning cropping because Jim can probably guess
anyway.