To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2005 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: Getting an audience at a gallery

At our gallery we do several things;

We are members of the Saturday Artwalk, held the first Saturday of every month. During this artwalk, we will have one or two artists on hand to explain their work or demo their techniques.

We use our customer data base for mailings. Doing this at least once a year.

We invite organizations and local clubs, including the Chamber of Commerce to an evening of refreshments and sales once a month. All of the artist are in attendance. Sometimes as many as a hundred people have shown up for punch and cookies. After hours sales can boom.

We also donate artwork to 18 different non profit organizations who hold auctions to raise money. One of my pieces was sold to a member of the Women's Lawyer's Association in their annual auction to feed the hungry.

Finally, we have an "artist of the month" feature and send a photograph of that artist's work and their bio to the local paper for the Art and Leisure section. It printed often, and is free advertising.

Take care,
Gregory david Stempel
FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g
www.americanphotojournalist.com