Re: photo law facts

I was at the Giza pyramids yesterday with my 5x7 and
had an interesting experience.  These police come up
to me (the real police don't wear uniforms) and start
asking me for my camera ticket (many sites require an
extra charge for a camera or video gizmo...i tell them
to shove off and they start calling my rig a movie
camera and that i need clearence from the
government... really, they were waiting for me to give
them money to go away...so, they got to watch someone
learning how to use a large format camera destroy one
negative and, hopefully, properly expose another and
not get a piaster...i guess they seemed pleased i
wasn't an israeli-backed jewish hollywood film maker
and let me do as i wished...i should have had said
"shalom" when they walked up and i'd have a better
story to tell
--- Bob Talbot <BobTalbot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Interesting, but note that was published in 1997.
> The Patriot Act
> > does give authorities powers that were not in
> effect then.  I keep
> hearing about this "Patriot Act".  Must read up
> about it!!!!
>

> > Even if  you have the absolute right to
> photograph, the police
> > now seem to have the power to arrest you "on
> suspicion" which
> > will be a hassle at best.
> Don't you risk ending up in Guatanamo bay, or is
> that reserved for us
> foreigners?
>
> I've read quite a few reports of over-zealous
> policing - Thnks: "Oh,
> he's stood out in the open witha big camera and a
> tripod, maybe he's
> trying to take covert pictures"
>

> Bob

=====

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds.
 The pessimist fears it's true"  - J Robert Oppenheimer

http://www.geocities.com/tr_cunningham