Re: Enlarger filter question; nostalgia

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:11:26 -0500, Walter Holt
<locnleave@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote/replied to:

>You are way over my head. years ago I visited the Bernard Hoffman Labs
>in NYC. Their B&W printers always kept a small container of well heated
>(hot) developer next to their trays of regular 70 degree developer.
>They would pull the print out of the regular developer at about one
>minute and use a Q tip saturated with the hot developer to enhance the
>highlights in the whites. They were using graded papers.
>I always found it easier to print with a multigrade paper and burn in
>the whites with just a kiss from a #4 filter.

Well, some detail can be overdeveloped in that manner but usually a
stain results. Not a big deal if you're reproducing the print, but not
too effective for a display print.

There are indeed reasons for following published and recommended
develeoping.

And soft, low contrast negs are very typical beginner mistakes that
they then attempt to correct in printing by using things like filter
combos and qtip hot devs.

--
Jim Davis, Nature Photography,
  http://easternbeaver.com/