I always found it easier to print with a multigrade paper and burn in the whites with just a kiss from a #4 filter.
Walter

======================================================================== ==============================
On Sunday, January 16, 2005, at 08:25 PM, SteveS wrote:

Sorry for the typos, as I noticed when I re read the message.

It reminded me when I aprenticed with Will Giles, and was asked to mix up -- some seven -- different develpers in trays, all with different temperatures. And, two trays with different temperatures of water.

I watched him bring out grades in prints that I never would have imagined even existed in the manufacture of the paper! The absolute magic within some knowledge of the ingredients we work with is amazine. Filters? He didn't know from filters.

The only thing I liked using filters, I found by experimenting with printing the cold light first, then -- split filter method -- the soft light, which brought out a gradation of gray-black and detail in the shadow areas. It gave our charcoal black, wet Pacific Coastal rocks a real three dimentional look, and brought out details of leaves on the trees in the Big Sur woods where we often photographed.

I was taught to use the first 2/3s of time for the soft tones, then change filter for the cold tones. When I reversed that, by choice, I got the 'muddy' shadows that the teacher warned me about, but muddy to them was detail to me. Morely Baer did the same thing. I think the emulstions today have an anti-foggant, then we used Dupont BB, which is now available throught the Photographers' Formulary called Shap's Bal. Bitz.

And, if you use an Amidol developer formula, the Bal. Bitz is a must.

S. Shapiro
----- Original Message ----- From: "SteveS" <sgshiya@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 4:52 PM
Subject: Re: Enlarger filter question

What's interesting is that I had the same question, once upon a time.

Kodak puts out a table in one of their brochures that breaks it all down, and actually answers Kostas' question. But, my question before going into my packed library [recommend research here if . . .] to what purpose?

You can achieve any gradation with two filters. A Greeen and a Bluye (I forget the Wratton numbers), which is actually how those Multigrade enlarger heads work. Using the Blue, do a step test, that gives you the time for the dark areas, then with the green the step test gives you the time for the highlights. Make the two exposures with each filter. That's the economy of it. If there's another reason, maybe I can shed some light (pun intended) on the problem.

By the same token, if it's merely a question. The answer may be in the electronic library of the globe, or that old dusty paper library; or you can call Kodak -- the pro service reps. only sit around anyway. I know you've got their number, Kostas, because it's not at my fingertips.

If you are starting a thread, and are just curious, you are opening an old can of worms about how emulsions are made, and how filters effect certain molecule structures in multigrade or variable contrast or poylcontrast papers. It then goes into what papers you use, and therefore what the filter colors do when interchanged or combined.

You've got, basically, a cyan and magenta filter. If you combine them you get a tan filter, if you double up you get a lesser 'grade' esposure. I forget where this goes, from my own research, years ago; but as I said . . . I simply went to the ole blue and green.

Then, finally found I was always using one of three grades, so bought paper accordingly. I stopped doing split grade light, and went to two different developers as in the De Beers formula.

I would like to hear what you have in mind.

S. Shapiro

----- Original Message ----- From: Walter Holt