Re: Enlarger filter question

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:47:08 -0500, Walter Holt
<locnleave@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote/replied to:

>Right on.
>I used to keep a 25 sheet box of No 5 graded paper for that rare time I
>just had to provide a print for someone else.
>Now I just say forget it if my VC head on #4 won't make it.
>Have you ever tried a Kodak 47B acetate filter (very dark and dense
>blue) to go beyond the #4 VC range using multigrade paper?          I
>had read an article years ago about this "trick".  Doubt it would work,
>but who knows.

No, but I have tried every possible combo of colour dichroic light
from a Durst CLS 450 head. I started out with Kodak's recommended and
hey you know they did plenty of testing with this stuff, and if they
could have cranked more contrast out of their MC paper they would
have. I ended up with slight variations of their published filtration
but it's always been a known fact that MG papers do not grade the same
as SG papers. MG filter #4 might give you a #3 paper grade, but I
doubt it. I'd say MG is capable of grades 0-2 and that's it.

--
Jim Davis, Nature Photography,
  http://easternbeaver.com/