Re: Copyright question: re tiny thumbnails.

> Asking doesn't necessarily have to cost money.
Time is money Emily, sorry, sad but true.

The inconsistency is also bizarre: I can take a photo that includes
the big M logo - I don't need copyright permission to include that in
my picture - yes, it's a trademark but also copyrighted.

> Personally, I think whenever you take something that belongs to
> someone else you should always ask.
Get real Emily: we're not talking about taking the bread from
someone's mouth.
There is no real moral/historical justification for copyright: the
Roman's had a pretty damned good empire without it.  No one will pay
for a 60x60 pixel thumbnail, so it has no real value.  Using it in
that
sense would be actually depriving nobody of nothing.

> You don't take it and then ask - right?
Of course, and if I see a 10 dollar bill on the sidewalk I always
leave it there for the owner to pick up later :)

> Instead we spend bandwidth and time trying to figure out that Disney
> is a bogeyman for forcing us to ask.
> Come on now.  Get real.
Disney IS the bogeyman: that's fairly well documented in about every
article I've read on the subject.

Jesus, imagine if  copyright was eternal and retrospective -  the
logical extension of the current trend.  Imagine no "public domain"
ever again.

Would the world really be a better place?

Bob