RE: Enlarger filter question

Sorry but Cyan is complementary to Red.  Yellow to blue  and Magenta to
green.

There are three layers in photographic colour emulsion, as used in the C-41
process. The first is an ordinary silver-gelatine sensitive mainly to blue
light.  Then there is a yellow filter that removes the blue light.  The next
layer is orthochromic silver - gelatine that is sensitive to green light.
Then there is a magenta filter which removes the green light.  The remaining
light, which is red illuminates a panchromatic layer which then contains the
red image.

Within each layer are colour couplers which react with the colour developer
as it is oxidised by the silver ions in the silver halide as they are
reduced during development. Only silver halide grains which have had about
three photons collisions and this have about three atoms of reduced silver
go on to react in the presence of the developing agent.

The developer, as it is reduced becomes active and reacts with the colour
developer to form a dye, which was not coloured before.  The blue sensitive
layer contains a colour coupler that forms a yellow dye (because it is the
negative in film emulsions), The green sensitive layer has a coupler that
forms a magenta dye and the red sensitive layer contains a coupler that
forms a cyan dye.

When the film is fixed the sliver halide is removed and when it is bleached
and fixed the developed silver is removed from the emulsion.  There is then
no silver in the film.  Only the coloured layers remain.

I do not include any reference to the orange mask. But I think this has
something to do with the initial blue sensitive layer and is to compensate
for the varying sensitivity of each layer.

Fast film has bigger grains so forming a bigger target for any incident
photons, making a strike more likely thus making fast film sensitive to low
level of light.

Colour paper is the same without the mask, the silver crystals are very
small in colour paper, making it less sensitive..  The old Agfa film had no
mask.

I apologise to those who know more than me about this and to those who may
feel their intelligence is being insulted.

It is of interest to me and, I hope to everyone else.  I think I have posted
something like this before.

My degree was in Chemistry and this was included in our lectures.  I do
remember something about the couplers and the colour developer, they are all
organic.

We did discuss silverless light sensitive emulsions that only needed fixing
by washing out the unreacted dye.  The coupling occurred between two organic
compounds when they were exposed to light.  Another idea was that an organic
dye would have a colourless form until exposed to light and then break into
a coloured dye and another smaller compound which would be mopped up by
another compound.  Fixing is still required.  Possibly this could be dome
with ultra-violet light.

I understand some silverless emulsions have been used in the "spy
satellites".

However digital photography has rendered further emulsion development
obsolete.

Chris.