Re: Copyright question: re tiny thumbnails.

Emily
I feared you would say that.
I think "ad absurbiam" there must be a point though, when an image is
reduced to, say,  1 by 1 pixels - how can the author prove it ;o)
What about 2 pixels by 2 pixels?
 4 pixels by 4 pixels?
In UK law we have the concept of "a reasonable man".  That is, I
expect it would become attributable at the point when " a reasonable
man" would recognise "beyond reasonable doubt" that the thumbnail was
indeed a copy.

In music there are precedents: no one can claim copyright over a
sequence of just two notes [in a musical score], but you can't
plagiarise a phrase and get
away with it.  OTOH, in a sample (recording) of a piece of music
copying even 1 note can be abuse - but that is another thing.

> So have fun, and keep a database of the URLs of every image you have
on hand.
keeping the database makes it unworkable: a rendition of my cat
(Fingal) required 1500 images!!!! It's a great poster but ... maybe
not something I could publish :o)

WTF: I'll risk it :o)
warning - 350Kb image: set for Windows Wallpaper size (1024x768)
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/photoforum/fingal_1024x768.jpg
Copyright of the original image is owned by me.
Copyright of the Mosaic treatment and Image Tiles set is owned by
Andrea Denzler
Permission for personal use granted by both of us. :o)

Tiles in original are 84x64 pixels (from Andrea's collection)
Full size image 3528x2646 pixels

Bob

PS - Statement from Andrea:
"If you want to use the mosaic in one of your
collections (to sell) feel free to do it, I
would appreciate a link to my freeware"
http://andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic