Copyright question: re tiny thumbnails.

I've just started playing with a photomosaic program:
http://www.andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic/

For this you need to accumulate access to a huge number of small (say
100-pixel max) thumbnail images.

Is there a point (in terms of thumbnail size) at which you could
safely (without breaking copyright) use a small version of other's
pictures downloaded from the web?

I was just thinking an easy way to harvest pictures would be to copy
all the jpgs and gifs from my Internet Explorer cache ;o)

Bob