Ross Number 2 Cabinet Lens

We are about to undertake some exercises using a Ross No 2 Cabinet lens on a camera manufactured in Lambeth. The camera was used by Gieves to photograph the great and the good before they went to the Palace to collect their gongs. The other side of the double dark slide was then used to photograph the customer in their decorated state on their return from the Palace. There is also a wet collodion single dark slide which we will be using for our experiments. We have made a template which will enable us to use this dark slide on a later Kodak 10x8 field camera for the first stage of our work before we go on to use the 'Gieves' camera.

The Ross lens has lost its Waterhouse  stops but it should not be too difficult to make a replacement.

I would be very grateful if anyone could let us know of anything we should be aware of in the use of the lens. Currently it is mounted on the Victorian camera which has a fourteen inch bellows extension. We will be taking the whole camera to Birmingham next week so that The Bellows Company can fit new bellows. Is there anything we should know before we do so.

We will be using the Victorian camera at the Historical Group Dimbola conference in April (details on the hands-on-pictures web site (www.hands-on-pictures.com). If anyone is interested in taking part in the experiments please let me know. Otherwise, the Dimbola conference should be fun.

Terry

Terry King FRPS

RPS Historical Group (Chairman)

www.hands-on-pictures.com/