virtual Colour - and Colour Blindness

Whatever the theories may be about colourblindness, as someone with this problem, I can assure you it is lifelong, permanent and very frustrating!
It is hereditary, being passed along the mother's line.
Its cause is purely physiological.
But how I "see" and interpret colours is of course very personal. There are a few unfortunates who see no colours at all.

As a lover of photography, and a keen colour practioner it is even more frustrating because I can only make intelligent guesses as to the correct colour balance within an image. Generally it is the subtleties of hue that I miss, e.g. a black lurcher could have a hint of green within its coat - and I won't see it! A skin tone could be marginally too yellow or green, and again, I have problems. It makes setting up my monitor and printer absolute hell!!

There is a very interesting web page - http://www.ledet.com/margulis/articles.html - where the author (Margulis) gives advice on adjusting skin tones simply by numbers. This does work very well, but can have some strange effects on other critical areas, e.g. eyes, clothes, etc which I have to avoid be masking.

Anyone in this forum have any useful suggestions? (Apart from asking my wife to check!)

Howard

P.S. Happy New year to everyone.