Re: digital latitude

> Latitude originally meant how large a brightness range of the
original scene
> you could record on film. It was measured in number of stops. A Stop
equals .3
> log density.

Reading from Photography, Theory and Practice, Clerc
It seems that was not the case back in 1930.
Indeed, it certainly clarifies things for me.

Quoting: sorry about the quaint English:
"The range of intensities which can be rendered by good emulsions
often exceeds 180:1 whereas very few photographic subjcts posess a
contrast exceeding 30:1.  It will be seen from these values that the
second is contained six times in the first  (180/30 = 6), so that the
maximum and minimum exposures [Bob: to capture the full range of
tones] are in the ratio 6 to 1"

Clearly then it was understood that latitude was practically linked to
the scene: it was implicit in this that the aim was to "render" detail
in all parts of the scene - very different from the decision to clamp
either highlights or shadows forced upon bothe slide workers and to a
lesser extent digital photographers.

For a high contrast scene - bright sun and deep shadows - there is
clearly less practical latitude than for soft-lit subjects.

Actually, for a more up to date (but identical ;o) definition The
Ilford Manual of Photography says pretty much the same thing.

Bob