Re: Two advantages of digital (was: digital latitude)

In a message dated 12/25/2004 4:22:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
fotodiseno2003@xxxxxxxxx writes:
A more positive view of the inmediacy (sp?) of digital
is "instant feedback", which IMHO, has no equal either
for educational purposes
****
Alberto,

While the immediacy of digital is faster than with film in general one still
needs a computer to view the quality of the results. I didn't see that the
lavendar of my towel used as a background in my Christmas card (sixth card top
row, http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/cgi-bin/greetings2004/) had turned blue until I
pulled it up at the computer. (Autowhite function gots fooled.and in bright
light and with the little LCD screen on the camera it wasn't noticeable).

As to film being forced into the computer interface, this is true as film
holds a wider gamut of color than monitors display (including TV's) and commonly
available inkjet printers can print out (best printer approximately match
Adobe98 color space in gamut). So color is being lost but this only matters to
some artists and people seeking the best color possible.

In commercial production speed is usually everything so in that situation
digital/video rules.

Even with slide film I do most of my printing now myself.

Roy