Re: PF Exhibits on 18 DEC 04

> Bob Talbot - Launch

> The people in the water ruin it for me (easily stamped out in PS).
Trevor: that part of your comment is the one that surprises me most:
for me the people are essential for conveying the scale of the waves
crashing in.  OK, they are nothing compared to those you see on
surfing videos, but believe me, holding one of these RIBs upright
while you get the engine started in such surf is no easy task.

As always though, you have the luxury of looking at it as just a
picture in isolation whereas, as the author, it's all a part of my
visual diary.

>The way the boat folk are standing gives them a contemplative look.
One of, "maybe we really shouldn't go in.  The body will wash up on
its own."
Well, in that sense then the picture succeeded.  It really was
contemplative I assure you.  We were launching here because the
harbour master at Mullion said it was too rough and would not let us
use the slipway!.  A couple of years after this shot a friend had his
6.5 meter RIB trashed at this same spot attemting to launch it from a
trailor!

Looking down the beach and watching the waves come towards you: it's
like calm for 30-minutes.  Sunny afternoon (though ice cold) ... then
suddenly the reality starts to hit. I think at this point we were the
last of the boats: the guys in the surf had just got the other one
safely on it's way.

Thanks for the comments.

Bob