Re: Fate of Silver Gelatin Paper

Well, sad news from a nostalgic point of view (and, of course, for all the dismissed workers). Ilford has been a staunch supporter of B/W, and a reliable supplier of top-notch materials. Bergger was stunningly good (stopped working in silver 2 years ago), Forte not my cup of tea, and "the new Agfa" (after the demise of Record Rapid and Portriga) was unreliable drugstore stuff. So, Ilford and Bergger it was ´til the end for me.

Now to the point: much to my own surprise, I don´t miss those silver prints at all, not even when getting a box of old ones out to review. After I learnt to ink-print with my 2100 and the QuadToneRip, on Ilford (there, again!) Premier Glossy or Epson Enhanced Matte, I get the same tactile feeling and great tonality as with my very best (and far-between) keeper silver prints, carefully toned. Only, now I get it every time, as long as the original file is up to it, and I have full control over what I do.

As for hand crafted, getting what I´m after in Photoshop is every bit as "handsy-craftsy" as dodging, burning, toning, spotting & c, only the tools are different. And, yes, the prints stay FLAT instead of curling up, I don´t have to inhale darkroom fumes and rinse in running water half the night, and.... I LOVE MY MAC! I LOVE MY EPSON! Forgive me....

Per Öfverbeck http://foto.ofverbeck.se