Re: PF Exhibits on 04 DEC 04

wildimages@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I'm a man. I don't like phallic things. Gay men like, but I don't. I
like my 35mm style camera and lens because they do the job they were
designed for. And that design has NOTHING whatsoever to do with
thatever you're talking about, sorry.

Jim

Some people see "phallic symbols" everywhere.
- Cars
- Church towers
- Camera lenses
- Cigars
- guns

Basically, any 3-D object with an aspect ratio of more than 2:1

This is incredibly selective though: a number 29 bus (single decker) is
excluded yet it's actually closer to the shape than a Porche.  A biro isn't,
yet a Saturn 5 rocket is;  A gun is yet a broom-handle isn't.

I pity anyone who thinks a 600mm f4 remotely resembles a todger - frankly
I think they need a pretty warped mind ...
The shape is totally wrong, being almost conical in aspect once the "hood"
is in place. Now the 100-400  ... that's another matter - heck, it even
gets longer in use ;o)

I suspect the whole concept  tells us more about the observer than anything
else.
There are basic truths of form and function that have nothing to do with
our inner psyche: submarines for instance are not shaped how they are to
satisfy some innate insecurity of the Admiral, but because the shape works
better, period.

Bob Freud was a perv!

But even Freud said that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. It ain't just beauty that is in the eyes of the beholder.
Don

FREE weekend phone calls! NO monthly fee, NO contract!

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/services/smarttalk/?StartupCode=OL063&srccode=COD_563

Don Roberts * Bittersweet Productions * Iowa City, IA
* *
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. -- Martin Luther King