Gallery Review - 2004-12-04

Thanks to this week's contributors.

I've not read the other reviews yet so take any comments as naive ...

Work no longer on display at
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html includes:

Dan Mitchell - Waiting
Compositionally interesting  but lacks photoraphic sharpness.

Carefully cropped -  looked like there was compromise made at top (I
wanted to see all of the blue sign but there is other "stuff" lurking
just out of shot)
The chap, sat most of the way to the left stares out of the frame to
the left.  All the background behind him thus becomes the main part of
the picture - yet it's entitled "waiting" so seems to be about him.

Christopher Strevens - Even Escalators are beautiful in our town
Mmmm ...
Hate the title - sort of prejudices me against the image ;o)

OK, as it stands just another slice of life.  I suspect you were
breaking the rules of the Mall using the camera in there!

I'd crop a tiny sliver off the top and left side (to remove little
intrusions) but otherwise it's sort of well presented.

Gregory david Stempel - Heidi
Feels like I'm there.
Love boats.
Interesting colour difference of tungsten light in cabin and,
presumably, flourescent on quay.

Rich Mason -
Well composed and taken (what else would I expect from Rich).
This really is about colour correction - right, horrible red sodium
lights (that's how they come out on film).
As shown it's almost too "clinical".  The colour correction has gone
to far.
I'd warm to the image more if it had a familiar "tungsten" cast to the
light.

David Small - On the bus
Switch to Canon and get an IS lens.
For your sort of stuff it looks a real bonus.

You are right: the motion blur has weakened this shot.
Nicely presented

Jim Davis - Late Evening Fishing
A fair shot, cleanly cropped.
Not really grabbing me though.

Leslie Spurlock - Caring for Flood Victims
Brilliant photo - given a lift by knowing something of the surrounding
circumstances.
<NIT>Just-too-tight crop on man and girl's heads</NIT>
Ignoring the trivial cropping issue, I love the framing and cropping.
There's no clutter, no technical flaws, it's how it needs to be. The
girl's eye's on the photographer: the medic busy at his work.

Thanks for showing this - a strong image.

Laurenz Bobke - Bird Protest
hahahaah

OK, it's like the old classic "Kingfisher sat on a no-fishing sign"
shot.
http://www.naturalvisions.co.uk/pictures/thumbnail/PDS_0033_AV.jpg
or Seagull
http://www.stockphotography.co.uk/Upload/Stock/Previews/6136.jpg
http://www.adrianbaugh.org.uk/photography/graphics/nofishing.jpg
or Pelican
http://donb.furfly.net/photo_cd/f/b105.jpg
or Heron
http://www.richmond.gov.uk/images/photos/parks/heron_oval.jpg

Such images do sell -

Not a "great" image photographically speaking but worth 50
dollars-equivalent if submitted as a "Readers Shot" to certain UK
magazines.