Re: portraits and permissions

The UK Magazine  "Amateur Photographer" article about people being arrested/harrased by the police in the UK for photographing in public places does not appear to have a web presence - ie I can only find references to it not the original.

Her's an "interesting" article from a US magazine.
http://www.vividlight.com/articles/3802.htm

If the claims in it are true, eg by the author
"In Philadelphia a magazine photographer (me) is detained and questioned after a parade for taking architectural shots while waiting for a subway train."
... then maybe things are not that much better in the states.

But the article does go on to say:
"Presently it is NOT illegal to take photos of public buildings, of public transit, bridges or of airplanes flying overhead. But in the current climate of terrorist threats doing so may attract the attention of law enforcement."

The irony to me is that for any potential terrorist, espionage or even simple robery purposes you don't need a 1000 dollar slr and a tripod, nor would you need well composed images.

Over here it seems the "law" is only used against people that look like "photographers" rather than those with, say, a disposable  camera.  The truth (over here) is that "terrosim/crime" is a largely handy excuse to stop you taking high quality images you might be able to sell.

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/