photoshop brush question

Sometimes when working in Photoshop CS (happened in 7, too) my brush
changes from being 'brush size' (indicated by a circle on the image) to
being 'precise' (indicated by crosshairs) even though my preferences are
set to 'brush size'. I'm not zoomed in too far to see the edges of the
circle.

Can anyone tell me why this happens and what to do to make it always
stay as brush size? Is there a key stroke to toggle between the two
choices that I may be hitting accidentally?

Thanks,
Lea

Lea Murphy
Whiny Dog Press www.whinydogpress.com