Re: Film vs Digital

On 11/29/04 11:04 PM, "gavant" <gavant@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Check out this web site
>
> http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filmdig.htm

Gotta love the web.  It's in print so it must be true, right?  What a load
of baloney.  I really love where he does a 4x5 scan comparison to an unnamed
'multi megapixel' camera.  What ever happened to apples and apples?  Between
the misinformation that Ken and luminous landscape print it's no wonder
people are confused.  My favorite bit is where he chides others for their
film/dig comparisons while his is the worst example I've seen to date.  What
a crock...

I shoot 4x5, 2 1/4, 1Ds, 1Ds MKII, (looking for an 8x10 to add).  No 35mm
film at all anymore.  My 1Ds is easily better than 35mm film and close to
drum scanned (I do my own drum scanning)  645.  The 1DsMKII is close to 6x7.
If I'm making HUGE prints than I still like big film.  Most people don't
make 40x60 prints an a regular basis.

They are all tools.  Use the right one for the job.  What ever happened to
common sense?

Lawrence

Lawrence W. Smith Photography
http://www.lwsphoto.com