Re: printing onto fabric

At 2:14 PM -0500 11/21/04, wpettit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I use dye sublimation inks in an Epson inkjet printer. Using a heat press, the inks actually fuse with polyester fabric.
The results are beautiful and last as long as the fabric stays intact. There's a good chance that someone in your area does dye-sub work. It's the same process used to put photos on coffee mugs. Other than fabric, the materials cost is about $1.50 per sq ft.

Yes, a local lab does have an old dye-sub printer around somewhere and I think they can still get the dye tapes for it. Interesting idea. I'll check with the lab tomorrow. Do you print onto some plastic sheet rather than dye-sub paper?

Do you think the inks would dye cotton? My friend's father left a house full of old clothing and I've been cleaning it out in preparation for putting it on the market. There are all these old cotton hankies and I've been transferring the designs to them. I already sent a set to her partner, Dave, although he doesn't know it yet, But since then I've developed a much more universal set for myself and learned a little about theses prayer flags and the traditions binding them.

One has to be very thoughtful appropriating someone else's spiritual expression, I think. To me, there is no place for self-centeredness or self-righteousness in that process. Kinda the core problem with Christianity.......

Maybe tonight I'll put up a little web page of them so you can all see them.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822