Gallery Review: 2004-11-20

Crap now on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
includes:

... a reminder that the gallery page tells us:
"Subject matter is wide ranging and similar to what one would find in
a conventional fine art gallery."
Mmmm ...

Peeter Vissak - Postmodernist prayer  640x512 - 73671 bytes
I really really like this one.
Content wise it's clearly about the silhoette and its reflection. But
what is going on? The author tells us in the title it's a prayer yet
without the title I couldn't be sure. The "cross" pattern of the
picture certainly fits the religious theme. As for Reaction, I'm not
certain how much lasting impact it has. I'll remember the design but
not the message maybe. Aesthetically, Peeter has shown everything
centrally - which you could say was on the "thirds" - just the middle
thirds ;o)  For me though this is one picture that benefits from being
placed as it is. Perspective: The reflection of the far bank (the dark
areas right and top) are part of the image. Standing on a "cherry
picker" might have made a more uniform image background but would have
become too half-and-half.

OK: if you wanted to be a bit radical ... a different approach might
include:
http://website.lineone.net/~wildimages/PF/vissak-3.jpg

Bob Talbot - Tea Shop
Yes, it is - So what?
Just stand in the Kew and leave your camera in the bag!

Jim Davis - Little Egret Reflection
I'll start by saying it's a good photo.
Well, it is.
Sadly, unlike Peeter's image, I don't think the central placing of the
subject and reflection has helped. It's a common problem with
reflection shopts.  We have both subject and reflection in the frame.
We don't want to lose either yet, somehow, it can make a picture
"Half-and-Half" (with the capital H's).
Maybe in Peeter's case it was the diagonality of the railings that
saved it for me.

So again, nice record of the bird but, artisitically, not one of your
best.

Christopher Strevens - Escalator
I like this just as it stands: sure, it could have been different
...maybe better ... but it is perfectly acceptable as is.
I like the placing of the single girl on the escalator - if there is a
tiny flaw it is the woman in lime green in the background.
Well seen.

Oh, Converging verticals - I corrected them for you ;o)
http://website.lineone.net/~wildimages/PF/strevens-2.jpg

Srinivasa Rao Regeti - Bradley stop Jumping !!!
This photo is almost perfect CRAP. Please tell me it was planned and
not just serendipity!
It's brilliantly concieved and executed.  The shutter speed is
perfect. There is no clutter in the background. There is just the
right amount of blur and indeed even the blur is in the right place -
bradley's read foot as it is just missing being eclipsed.
The blue light coming through the blinds adds a perfect foil for the
yellow cast indoors.

If I have one tiny question to ask it's whether it should have been
tilted / cropped just a tiny bit different?
Look at:
http://website.lineone.net/~wildimages/PF/regeti-2.jpg
OK, that's juat a la Qkano ... but it appeals to my ordered eye.  If
you had shown it like that I would have had NOTHING to complain about
at all ;o)

Laurenz Bobke - In Motion
Another motion shot:
I like it - probably would have even more had it not been in the
shadow of Srinivasa's shot.

It's portrayed very central: in the shadows (I'm on a PC) are details
along the right that look interesting when I bring them up with
levels.
As displayed (500 pixels wide) I would have cropped off 70 pixels from
the left side. I don't think there is anything lost by doing that and
for me it improves the dynamics of the image

Leslie Spurlock - Stranded Number 2
Having seen this ... and as a photo it's much clearer of the people
and the scene ... it has indeed lost the impact of last week's shot.
OK, I was one who suggested you got out of the car - I have to admit
now that being in the car did add to the sense of place.  Looking
back, it gave it an immediacy that this one lacks.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is a bad shot, but it's much
more a record of an event than actually giving the feeling of being
there ...

Emily L. Ferguson - lobster boat bow
I can see why you took it Em.  It has something going for it but there
are a couple of things that stop it being great.
- That blue object bottom right just kills it for me.  OK, it was
probably something on the quayside but it has the effect of feeling as
if it just got in the way.
- on my (PC) monitor it's just a tad undersaturated - maybe that's the
effect you were after - too used to seeing brighly coloured prows of
boats and all that

Tim Holmes - Mt. Rushmore - Shrine to Democracy
This photo just shows me the photos I wish you had taken.  It looks
like an unedited highlight.
There's masses of sky, the subject is dead centre but small, the
columns are cropped off (uncomfortably) at the base. Presumably there
was a reason to tilt the camera up? Some clutter you couldn't crop
out?  The trees to the side are just there ... I'm wanting a lower
viewpoint and a longer lens (by which of course I mean further back
too) ... I don't know ... it just does absolutely nothing for me.

WRGill - Low Tide
Sorry WR ... it's more of a low ebb.
I really can't see much in this photo.
Content: rocks and water
Reaction: dull
Aesthetics: rocks and water
Photographically - too small,it's not sharp and the lighting is
disinteresting.

NOTE: everything above is just opinion, a personal take on the photos
presented.
Some of it's harsh: for a kinder and more constructive treatment my
Paypal account comes in to play ;o)

Qkano