Re: Digital SLR's and portraiture

----- Original Message -----
From: "Izzet Cigirgan"

: Now that I am considering DSLR's, questions pop-up.
:
: As far as I know, for portraiture with the 35 mm format 100-150 mm lenses
: are considered to be the best in general (I mostly prefer 150-200
however).
: Anyhow we know that with the smaller sensor of the DSLR's have  a crop
: factor when it comes to Field of View, so shorter lenses like 17-70's
: 17-80's are being considered to replace the longer ones. Also because of
: higher ISO capability f4 lenses are considered to be OK instead of
f2.8's,
: etc.

double the 'standard' focal length is thill the accepted standard, so if
the camera has a format of say 18x14mm then the 'standard' focal length is
22mm, portrait lens in this instrance would be 44mm or above

for a Canon 300d which I'm told has a sensor of 23x15mm then the 'standard'
focal length is 27.5mm so 55mm or greater would suit portraiture.

As to speeds, the faster the better for portraits to allow you to shallow
out the DOF when you want it.. not that you'll ever see a super shallow DOF
with a 44mm lens at f4 (!)

btw, I like the 200mm on 35mm format cameras too, and the shallow DOF is a
JOY at that focal length

: Theory is OK, but for me what counts is the photographs.
:
: So I would like to hear from users of DSLR's their experience about
: portraiture including bokeh.

bokeh?  Awful!  for this, full frame sensor cameras with a decent fast lens
would be what you're after, preferably your favourite 200mm :-)