Medicated gallery impressions for whatever day this is

My back was acting up and I may have over-medicated but the pain is gone and I like the photos in this week's gallery located at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html. So here's what I feel.

Alberto Tirado (Teclamoto (Keyquake)) - Its been a while since I've seen your work in the gallery Alberto. Its good to see you back. The thumbnail of this image bored me to death but the full size is a completely different story. I really like the creativity of this concept as it really does represent how many of the people I work with view keyboards.

Jeff Spirer (Martin Luther) - Well one has to trust that Jeff planned everything in the shot even if to me, the white spot upper left is distracting, surely it must belong here even though it seems to ruin the way the hat gradually fades into the darkness at the left. Maybe its the slight smirk on Martin's face that makes me smile or perhaps its the way I can easily turn this into a collection of abstract shapes that rise to the right with a glaring stripe of white in the midst of shades of darkness. What aperture did you shoot this at to get the tip of the nose out of focus? f1.4? Do I like it? Of course but its not my favorite Spirer.

Greg Fraser (Noon) - This is a scene I saw near my house on a somewhat secluded trail.

Trevor Cunningham (Bury me not on the lone prairie) - Friggin' awesome scenery. Wow. Why is the image rgb but greyscale? She'd be a lot smaller as greyscale. Anyway, beautiful shot and without that tree it would be crap.

Timothy A. Holmes - Shot at 1:08pm with direct sun so why does George look so dark? Anyway, its a neat effect induced by the foreground. It looks as if someone has ripped a strip out of the black. It would be really cool if you could clone in some yellow or green eyes into the darkness.

Peeter Vissak (Old growth forest) - Now this is cool. The soft focus, the slight blurriness and the lighting give this an almost eerie feel even though its obviously a bright, sunny day. The 'X' formed by the branches and the way the one branch leads back into the shot where it bends under its weight where it hits the ground. Too bad the sun doesn't really explode over the branch but I love the colors. Far out.

Emily L. Ferguson (Maple tree skeleton) - Just a touch of blood at the top then the stark frame of past life set against a tapestry of greens and golds. Marvelous.

Per Ofverbeck (Lily-of-the-Valley) - The composition seems too broad for my tastes. Close up of the berries with the bright spots in the background darkened would appeal more to me. Then the red really does its job on the green background.

Qkano (Cladonia) - My absolute favorite Qkano shot ever. Love the saturation level and the way the reds are not screaming at me and the background is almost muted. Most of all I love the way the plants grow larger and taller from left to right as if you see a progression of the life cycle. The narrow DOF is very effective also. Lovely forms and composition. Bravo.

Jim Thyer (Fraser River Bridge) - Everyone gets points for having Canadian content in their shot but you go straight to the top for Fraser content. I like the vignetting and the soft focus as well as the lighting but then again the lighting is always perfect on the Fraser river.

Thanks once again to the nameless, perhaps jet lagged, Davidhazeyed gallery staff and to Andy for sponsoring this and to the image submitters for taking a chance and exposing their raw, salubrigous, fetid bowels of their souls to the cold eyes of the PF list.

Greg Fraser
"Things are never what they seem" - Vlad
http://home.golden.net/~fraserg