Wedding Photography

First time this happened to me,

I had an initial meeting with a prospective couple who knew in advance
that a deposit was to be made at the time of this appointment. When they
arrive, she says, I left my checkbook at home, can I pay you at the
rehearsal? Without thinking I said Okay. Later I thought, The rehearsal
is at 6:30pm the night before the wedding on a Saturday. This means I
will get a check I cannot collect on before I do the shoot! The check may
or may not be any good.

Has this happened to anyone in this group and how did/would you handle
this problem?

Shyrell