Re: Digital fakery ... easy to do well, easier to do badly.

> What amazes me is that there are people who actually spot these
things.
dan

Are you serious? ;o)

Imagine if we had digital technology before the space race.  Pictures
of little green men on the moon would sure have helped justify why we
(the human race) needed to spend so much money getting there to greet
them ;o)

Actually, on a serious spin (accidental pun) off is that there are
people working on producing software to detect such fakes.  But just
as surely as methods are evolving to detect fakes - others will evolve
to make them harder to detect. If we have a situation where there is
no way to prove that a photo was doctored, and a legal system that
accepts "photos" from law enforcement agencies almost unquestioningly,
the citizen had better start to worry.

But the point is of course actually debatable - after all, is posing
with a plastic turkey for a "real photo" actually any different than
having a photo of a real bird cloned in later?  The "image
manipulation" is not inherent in the photographic image but the
imagination of the spin doctors (to influence public opinion). It's
not only in the political domain, here is on from NG where "real"
photographs were used in a "fake" context ...
http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0407/feature4/special.html?fs=seabed.nationalgeographic.com

And now too I'm thinking, cloing in a few crowd members to make
someone look more popular (or should I say to make the news image more
accurately fit the constructed one) any different from the "augmented"
crowd noise that is becoming the rule at concerts, football matches
and even political conventions?  The cheering "boldened up" by
speakers from the back of the room ... heck I fell for that nearly
20-y ago at a concert when I joined in the clapping for an encore,
only to feel a twerp when I looked behind to see that there were only
2 rows of people that way but some large speakers ;o)  The point, that
I had been manipulated for a while - my reality was of being part of a
crowd desparate for another song.  Of course, we probably did want
another anyway but the "experience" has helped along ...

Bob
"A picture is worth a thousand lies"

1) THE ETHICS/SKILLS INTERFACE IN IMAGE MANIPULATION
Jenny Webber
School of Communication and Information Studies
University of South Australia, Magill, Australia
http://www.csu.edu.au/OZCHI99/full_papers/webber.rtf

2) The Camera Never Lies, But the Software Can
By KATIE HAFNER; TIM GNATEK CONTRIBUTED REPORTING FOR THIS ARTICLE.
Published: March 11, 2004
http://tech2.nytimes.com/mem/technology/techreview.html?res=9B01E5D7153EF932A25750C0A9629C8B63