Re: re Sigma Lenses

I have used Sigma 90/2,8 AF Macro with my Nikons, and as usual, macro lenses belong to the best line of every producer. The images are undistinguishable from the ones taken with the famous Nikkor 75-150 in the same locations (landscape and details). To be honest, I've never tried to shoot with it into plain sunlight.

There is a different story with the Sigma 18/3,5 AF, that I've also used with my Nikons. This one is very prone to contralight flaring, but is quite adequate when this is avoided. The corners aren't wide angle lens' strongest points anyway, so I've tried to keep the interest focus in the middle and slightly off-middle part of the frame. Forest shots in low light from a tripod have been OK.

If the superwide angle isn't necessary, I switch to Nikkor.

I know that nothing can beat Nikkor's 17-35 zoom, but that one is far from my fiscal reach.

As different people, e.g. Michael Reichmann and Bjørn Røslett have emphasized - using mediocre superwideangles with DSLR-s gives good results, as the worst part of the image circle remains out of the frame.

Peeter

---