Re: re Sigma Lenses

> : Whatever the tests say, you are right, try them for yourself.
> : I have and was forced to admit (painful on the old pocket!) that
Sigma
> : was a false economy for me. The qulity does not match the real
thing.

> I saw a shining example of this
Good pun un(clean)Bob when talking about flare ;o)

> The shot I was shown was causing the student a great deal of
confusion as
> the lens was a current pro series fixed aperture Sigma,
I've been following Sigma vs Canon debates for years.  Guess what, the
"latest" Sigma has always dealt with the problems of the previous
version (the same previous version that had no problems).

> I have a Sigma myself which I like though I *really* have to think
about
> lens hood use and controlling the flare to get anything good out of
it.

Flare is only one issue -  but in part it is lens testing.  What are
the results people want to read? Resolution was the gold standard for
years -  then people noticed Sigma were VERY soft around the edges of
the frame.  So now they comment on centre and edge resolution. Flare
is not something so well quantified - but from my bad experiences too
I can say that flare (+ internal reflections) were the main flaw in my
Sigma lenses. Heck another was AF but since most times I use MF anyway
(quicker and more accurate) that wouldn't have affected my decision to
dump them.

Really, there is no single parameter to judge whether a lens is good
or not.  YMMV is not a dismissive statement, it depends on the uses.

- Distortion (barrel and pincushion) is not such a big deal for
pictorial work (flowers) but a bummer for architecture / copy work.
- Colour casts are no big deal for B&W workers but they may be for
product shoots.
- Flare is no big deal for flat lighting but it can be for sunsets (/
astro).

Bob