Re: Apology - Re: Are your photos CRAP? - Jeff

> I have to apologize.  I assumed in my own unthinking way that my
posting
> would be recognized as a joke.  In reviewing it, I see that the
smiley was
> missing and it wasn't funny anyway.

Jeff

Indeed, if it was meant as a joke, I missed it. At least, even on a
re-read I still can't find that aspect of it.

However, there was certainly no need to apologise as, as a serious
post, there was value in it.  The form you linked us to was, yet
another, example of how various people have tried to codify
interpretation of photographs.  Indeed, for me the act of attempting
to come up with a scheme (in my case hampered by the choice of
acronym) was a learning experience in itself.

In the case of your example - as unBob noted - it was targeted as
students.  Some of the questions, about WHY the photographer took the
picture, may not have been intended to be part of a general
"appraisal" scheme but more to encourage the students to think about
the wider picture (I don't mean Mr Zinn's panoramas either ;o).

The holy grail of a photographic review scheme would be to be (all
IMO)
1) memorable
2) concise
3) non-exclusive

Points 1 and 2 are fairly self-explanatory.  If you can't remember the
scheme (that is if you need a written form) chances are it is too
detailed / long.  Point 3 however, IMO, is open to much more
interpretation.  IMO a perfect scheme would be all encompassing.  That
is, all genres would be covered.  Landscape, abstract, nature,
portraiture, creative, snapshot, mood, scientific, reportage,
"postcard", street, "pseudo street" <G> ....  I'm not sure such a
perfect scheme is even possible because, largely, the value criteria
in one may not equate in any way with those in another.

The optimum scheme (falling short of perfect) for me is one where,
whilst not all parts may apply to all genres, you can be prompted to
find something good and something "constructive" to say about any
image ....

Bob

In another post Jeff wrote ...
>>Who cares what the photographer was thinking?
>There's an assumption here that photographers think.

In another post unBob noted:
<The intent of an artist's statement is clearly to free
the public from the shackles of having to think for themselves!
And this is what the public demand!!!>

Indeed.  And if you can remove that burden of thinking, without the
individual realising they have been freed of it, you have the perfect
consumer.  Will believe anything they are told about the project and
go away satisfied.  Bit like a voter in a 21st century election
methinks ....