Re: NGS Photography Workshops

<<<I have a perfect example of why metering for the highlights just
doesn't always work. It only works if you know how many stops the
shadows are down from the highlight. In other words if the lighting is
flat.

I have an image of a flying heron (what else :-). It's in pretty
strong but diffused sunlight from it's rear away from me. It's head is
therefore in a bit of shade while parts of it's wings are fully
sunlit.>>>

Jim

What you have is a perfect example of why real photgraphers (as opposed to digicam snappers) should treat High Dynamic Range formats as the holy grail of imaging.

Sure, for the end product (prints and/or web display) a reduction the the archaic 8-bit-per-channel standard may be good enough.  But at the point of capture, the ability to record detail in both highlights and shadows - to be able to recall it later if the selected "exposure" has not quite given the result hoped for - I find it incredible that some can see no merits in that and continue to defend the old "what we have is good enough" mentality.

Bob

--

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/