Re: NGS Photography Workshops

<<<I shot some portraits of the wife a while back and was shocked that
the highlights were just gone. It was on negative film and the
lighting had been high contrast sunlight with shadow.

Those highlights might have been scanable with two scans but I doubt
it. Negative film has it limits for sure, and those limits are way
less than some people talk about.>>>

Jim

The old chestnut about the marvellous latitude of negative film (over slide film) is actually a bit of a myth if you are intending to scan it.  It is only really of use when you are producing prints by traditional means - with chemicals and an enlarger.

Although it does indeed record details over a wider range of exposure levels, the results are actually compressed over a much narrower range of densities (compared to slides) making it harder to *scan*.

It's the scanning that is the limiting step [IMO] not the medium itself.  If all you are after is a high-res digital file - as the end in itself - best to go digital ;o)

Bob

--

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/