Re: NGS Photography Workshops

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 08:59:57 +1000, Deen Hameed
<deenhameed@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote/replied to:

>	AA's suggestions of exposing for the shadows is for negative film (print for the highlights), and even that is meant to be taken in conjunction with developing the film specifically for the exposure..

Well, there may be detail in the negative film that you can scan out,
but you sure can't print out anything that's overexposed much.

I shot some portraits of the wife a while back and was shocked that
the highlights were just gone. It was on negative film and the
lighting had been high contrast sunlight with shadow.

Those highlights might have been scanable with two scans but I doubt
it. Negative film has it limits for sure, and those limits are way
less than some people talk about.

I would suggest using negative film as if it was slide film and not
assuming you can retrieve a huge range density from the neg. When
something's blown out, it's density increases dramatically.

I've also found that even when you can get back a bit of highlight
with negative film, that the quality of it is poor - grainy and off
colour at times, with no real value except to say, 'ya, there's some
detail there'...

But hell, the chances that I'll ever see another roll of negative film
are slim, indeed.

Now if I can just find some place to permanently store all these negs
and slides....

--
Jim Davis, Nature Photography:
  http://jimdavis.oberro.com/