Re: Flash Compensation

At 2004-10-12, 13:11:04 John Mason (profmason@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

>Let me put the question this way...  How do PJs and
>event shooters get natural looking fill flash with
>their auto everything SLR's and speedlights, while
>working quickly?
>
>I know--I know for sure--that they aren't thinking
>hard about flash compensation, but I've seen the
>results and they're (very often) pretty damn natural
>looking.
>
>--John

John,

	Before i hit reply, i popped over to your website again. I am assuming that you want to use fill-in flash in broad daylight to lighten shadows without it being too obvious. Assuming that is the intent...

	To do it simply, you just need an auto-everything camera (the F100) and pretty much any flash that will do TTL and on-flash compensation. That's what the PJs would use and its piss-simple then... Most of them NEVER take it off Program mode. Trust me, I've asked.

	Now if your flash won't play flash-compensation, its not that straightfoward.

	The method you've outlined in your previous email is the way to do it. It doesn't take very much flash (at close range) to overpower the ambient light in the foreground, so i would suggest turning the compensation down to -1.7 or even -2.0. In bright light, you would be fine with -0.7 to -1.0.

	I wouldn't say it is complicated, but it certainly involves making sure the metering is done properly (over-exposed on the scale to the extent the compensation has been dialed in). This is assuming, Auto-exposure on camera, and flash in TTL mode.

	If your flash can do Auto mode, then you'd simply put the camera on Aperture-priority or manual mode, set the flash to the same ISO & Aperture as the camera. Camera will handle the background, Flash will handle foreground. If you think 1:1 is too much, then OPEN UP the aperture on the flash 1 stop.

	What flash do you use?

Best regards,
Deen
2004-10-12 14:01:10